The monthly Naamsa stats generally make for rather interesting reading. But, naturally, we tend to focus on the best-performing vehicles in terms of sales.
But now we’ve decided to take a look at the worst-selling passenger car models on our shores. Thankfully, Hyundai and Kia have started reporting their individual model sales figures, which certainly helps to paint a more accurate monthly picture. But, of course, some other automakers (such as Mercedes-Benz and BMW) still disclose only aggregate sales statistics.
Also, take note that – in order to make this list more relevant – we’ve excluded vehicle ranges that start at more than R500 000. Otherwise, this table would be dominated by luxury manufacturers such as Bentley, Ferrari and Maserati, whose high-priced vehicles traditionally sell in tiny numbers.
We also don’t count sales from run-out stock of vehicles that have been discontinued locally, such as the Volkswagen Beetle (5) and Chevrolet Spark (2).
So, what happened during the month of December?
Well, just a single example of the seldom-spotted Ssangyong Korando was registered, along with one unit of the Tata Manza. Toyota managed to sell two units of its 86 sports car, while the Abarth 595 range, Fiat Panda and Tata Vista could muster just three apiece.
The Alfa Romeo Giulietta, Fiat 500X, Suzuki Grand Vitara and Tata Indica each managed four units, while the Opel Adam could do just five. The Honda Civic (with its first appearance here) and Volvo S60, meanwhile, registered seven units apiece.
For reference, see November’s list here.
SA’s 13 worst-selling passenger cars (under R500k) of December 2017:
Ssangyong Korando – 1
Tata Manza – 1
Toyota 86 – 2
Abarth 595 – 3
Fiat Panda – 3
Tata Vista – 3
Alfa Romeo Giulietta – 4
Fiat 500X – 4
Suzuki Grand Vitara – 4
Tata Indica – 4
Opel Adam – 5
Honda Civic – 7
Volvo S60 – 7
- 5 vehicles we think would sell well in South Africa
- 7 most powerful manual cars you can buy new in SA
- 10 cheapest new diesel-powered passenger cars in SA
- 10 cheapest dual-clutch vehicles in South Africa…
- 11 cheapest six-cylinder passenger vehicles in SA
- 8 most expensive four-cylinder vehicles in SA…
- 7 most powerful sedans on SA’s new vehicle market
- 7 most powerful SUVs on SA’s new vehicle market
- 5 most expensive double-cab bakkies in South Africa
- 9 dirtiest hatchbacks on SA’s new car market
- 5 biggest engines on South Africa’s new car market
- 7 most expensive SUVs on SA’s new vehicle market
- 5 cheapest rear-wheel-drive cars in South Africa
- 7 most fuel-efficient double-cab bakkies in SA
- 6 most powerful naturally aspirated new cars in SA
- 5 cheapest new cars in SA with 200 kW or more
- 5 bakkies we think South Africa would go crazy for
- 5 of the most blatant copycat cars out of China
- 5 big bakkies South Africa might want but can’t have
- 5 cheapest automatics on SA’s new vehicle market
- South Africa’s 5 cheapest vehicles with low-range
- 5 biggest gas-guzzlers on SA’s new vehicle market
- 5 most fuel-efficient cars we’ve recently tested
- 7 most fuel-efficient non-hybrid petrol cars in SA