The sales figures for the final month of 2017 are in … and a whopping 701 units separated the two vehicles at the top of the table of South Africa’s best-selling bakkies.
According to Naamsa, SA’s new vehicle market ended 2017 on a weak note with aggregate industry sales for December coming in at 40 636 units, or a decline of 2,4% year-on-year (be sure to check out the 10 best-selling passenger vehicles as well as the 13 worst-selling cars). The light commercial vehicle segment, however, managed a 7,0% improvement for the month.
So, exactly what happened in December 2017?
Well, the Toyota Hilux held onto top spot, trouncing the Ranger by a significant 701 units in December. By our maths, that sees the Japanese bakkie win the 2017 bakkie sales race by some 3 612 units, with the Ranger in second.
In December, the Nissan NP200 climbed two places to third, forcing the Isuzu KB down one to fourth. The Nissan NP300 likewise fell a position to fifth. The Volkswagen Amarok, meanwhile, held onto sixth place in one of its better months, with the Nissan Navara (also up on previous showings) climbing three places to seventh.
The Toyota Land Cruiser Pick-up and Mahindra Pik-Up retained their respective eighth and ninth spots, while the Mazda BT-50 entered the top ten to snaffle the final place (Chevrolet sold just seven units of its Utility in its final month in the country, and thus fell from the table).
That means there’s no room for the Mahindra Bolero (37), Fiat Fullback (34) or Mitsubishi Triton (22) in December.
See the top ten list below, and have a look at November’s figures here.
South Africa’s 10 best-selling bakkies of December 2017:
1. Toyota Hilux – 3 382
2. Ford Ranger – 2 681
3. Nissan NP200 – 1 040
4. Isuzu KB – 903
5. Nissan NP300 – 869
6. Volkswagen Amarok – 315
7. Nissan Navara – 260
8. Toyota Land Cruiser Pick-up – 197
9. Mahindra Pik-Up – 94
10. Mazda BT-50 – 56
- VW SA to offer manual Amarok V6 (with low-range)!
- Drag race! Volkswagen Amarok V6 vs. VW Golf GTD…
- 5 half-tonne bakkies axed in SA over the past decade
- Volkswagen unveils sportily styled Saveiro Pepper…
- 5 most expensive double-cab bakkies in South Africa
- Mazda SA boss on why BT-50 bakkie has struggled…
- Nissan Navara pricing! How much you’ll pay in SA…
- The SA government bought these bakkies in 2016…
- 7 most fuel-efficient double-cab bakkies in SA
- 5 double-cab bakkies that make the most torque…
- 5 bakkies we think South Africa would go crazy for
- 5 big bakkies South Africa might want but can’t have
- South Africa’s 5 cheapest vehicles with low-range
- 5 biggest gas-guzzlers on SA’s new vehicle market