- Image gallery
At CAR magazine, we take every new vehicle we feature to our test strip to gather data for our in-depth road tests. Sometimes, we see some pretty impressive results. Below we have listed the best 0-100 km/h times we’ve collected over the past 12 months. Yes, these are the fastest-accelerating cars from the pool of 99 vehicles we tested in 2017…
5. Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio Verde: 4,15 seconds (claimed 3,9 seconds)
The Italian manufacturer’s return to the performance sedan segment was a strong one, even if this particular vehicle caused some conflict in our editorial team. With its Ferrari-derived twin-turbo 2,9-litre V6, the Giulia QV was able to hit 100 km/h from standstill faster than the BMW M3 and Mercedes-AMG C63 S … all without any form of launch control.
4. BMW M760Li xDrive Sports Steptronic: 3,96 seconds (claimed 3,7 seconds)
This twin-turbo 6,6-litre V12 limousine will fulfil all of your luxury requirements, but it can accelerate faster than most performance sedans as an added bonus. In fact, the M760Li is the fastest M car we’ve tested to date … although we’re sure the soon-to-arrive M5 will grab that crown.
3. Audi RS3 Sedan Quattro S-Tronic: 3,93 seconds (claimed 4,1 seconds)
When the RS3 Sedan dipped below the 4,0-second barrier, the CAR team was speechless. There’s currently nothing below R1 000 000 that can match it for acceleration.
2. Porsche Panamera Turbo PDK: 3,44 seconds (claimed 3,8 seconds)
Yes, another plus-sized sedan. This 404 kW 4,0-litre twin-turbo V8-powered executive sedan has no issues with getting up to speed. With power delivered to all four wheels through an eight-speed automatic, there’s not much out there that can keep up with it.
1. Porsche 911 GTS PDK: 3,43 seconds (claimed 3,7 seconds)
Many consider the 911 the perfect sportscar. While the GTS isn’t quite the flagship, its turbocharged 3,0-litre flat-six (mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission) churns out 331 kW and 550 N.m … and that’s enough to beat even the manufacturer’s claimed time.
- 5 new high-performance SUVs coming to SA in 2018
- 10 new crossovers coming to South Africa in 2018
- 10 vehicles killed off in South Africa in 2017…
- 5 vehicles we think would sell well in South Africa
- 7 most powerful manual cars you can buy new in SA
- 5 torquiest SUVs you can buy new in South Africa
- 10 cheapest new diesel-powered passenger cars in SA
- 10 cheapest dual-clutch vehicles in South Africa…
- 11 cheapest six-cylinder passenger vehicles in SA
- 8 most expensive four-cylinder vehicles in SA…
- 7 most powerful sedans on SA’s new vehicle market
- 7 most powerful SUVs on SA’s new vehicle market
- 5 most expensive double-cab bakkies in South Africa
- 5 biggest engines on South Africa’s new car market
- 7 most expensive SUVs on SA’s new vehicle market
- 5 cheapest rear-wheel-drive cars in South Africa
- 6 most powerful naturally aspirated new cars in SA
- 5 cheapest new cars in SA with 200 kW or more