- Image gallery
At CAR magazine, we take every new vehicle we feature to our test strip to gather data for our in-depth road tests. Sometimes, we see some pretty underwhelming results. Below we have listed the worst 0-100 km/h times we’ve collected over the past 12 months. Yes, these are the slowest-accelerating cars from the pool of 99 vehicles we tested in 2017…
5. Nissan NP200 1,5 dCi ICE: 14,44 seconds (claimed n/a)
The Nissan NP200 has been around for a relative age, so we didn’t expect it to achieve record-breaking times. With its 1,5-litre four-cylinder turbodiesel engine, the NP200 ICE churns out an honest 63 kW and 200 N.m.
4. Renault Sandero Stepway 66 kW Turbo Dynamique: 14,68 seconds (claimed 11,1 seconds)
For a car that Renault boasts uses an engine with “F1 technology”, the Sandero Stepway disappoints in the sprinting stakes. Its 898 cc turbo-triple engine provides it with 66 kW, but takes almost 15 seconds to hit 100 km/h … and that makes it slower than its naturally aspirated forebear.
3. Volkswagen Cross Up! 1,0: 14,86 seconds (claimed 13,5 seconds)
The Cross Up! is a promising budget offering with a surprisingly dynamic chassis. But don’t expect to get big results out of that 55 kW 1,0-litre three-cylinder engine…
2. Fiat Panda 0,9 TwinAir Cross 4×4: 15,1 seconds (claimed 11,2 seconds)
The 875 cc two-cylinder configuration found under the Panda’s bonnet has its strong points, but it looks like speed isn’t one of them. With 63 kW on tap, the little crossover is able to hit 100 km/h in just over 15 seconds.
1. Mahindra TUV300 1,5 CRDE T8: 16,89 seconds (claimed – n/a)
The Indian manufacturer’s tank-inspired SUV truly is an honest offering … and that 1,5-litre turbodiesel three-cylinder sending 74 kW to the rear struggles to get it up to speed. Its blocky shape probably doesn’t help its cause either.
- 5 new high-performance SUVs coming to SA in 2018
- 10 new crossovers coming to South Africa in 2018
- 10 vehicles killed off in South Africa in 2017…
- 5 vehicles we think would sell well in South Africa
- 7 most powerful manual cars you can buy new in SA
- 5 torquiest SUVs you can buy new in South Africa
- 10 cheapest new diesel-powered passenger cars in SA
- 10 cheapest dual-clutch vehicles in South Africa…
- 11 cheapest six-cylinder passenger vehicles in SA
- 8 most expensive four-cylinder vehicles in SA…
- 7 most powerful sedans on SA’s new vehicle market
- 7 most powerful SUVs on SA’s new vehicle market
- 5 most expensive double-cab bakkies in South Africa
- 5 biggest engines on South Africa’s new car market
- 7 most expensive SUVs on SA’s new vehicle market
- 5 cheapest rear-wheel-drive cars in South Africa
- 6 most powerful naturally aspirated new cars in SA
- 5 cheapest new cars in SA with 200 kW or more