Michael Atkins, second overall in this year’s SA Formula Ford Championship, has been named the 2003 Sasol/SAGMJ “Top Gun of the Year” by the S.A. Guild of Motoring Journalists’ judging panel. -
- Driving his Xumbug-sponsored Mygale, the 20-year old Gauteng racer, the Sasol Top Gun at the 28 June A.A. Kyalami round of the Vodacom Power Tour, proved to be the most consistent and serious challenger to Morne Jurgens, who retained the premier single seater class title. Atkins finished 40 points behind Jurgens and 26 clear of 3rd – placed Marco da Cunha. -
- “Michael’s grit and determination in a comparatively older racing car and his many podium positions throughout the season, amongst tough experienced and new hot shot drivers in Formula Ford, gave him the nod for the R15 000 prizemoney and 2003 Sasol/SAGMJ Top Gun trophy”, said the judges. -
- “In keeping with the spirit of the competition, Sasol and the Guild trust that he will now be in a position to acquire more modern machinery and show his maximum potentiality in 2004”, they added. -
- The other nine finalists (nominees) for the award were fellow Formula Ford racer, Armani Jamrozinski, Production Car pilots Fanie de Bruin, Angus Thompson and Reghard Roets, and top-performing national Superbike category riders Arushen Moodley, Shaun Whyte, Hudson Kennaugh, Gavin Ramsay and Sheridan Morias. -
- Atkins will receive his award at a function in January.