Pirelli Scorpion tyres powered Apie Reyneke and Robin Houghton (Castrol Toyota Landcruiser) to a second overall and 2nd in Class T of the Production Vehicle category in the season-opening Nissan Dealer 400 Off-Road race near Darling, Western Cape on Saturday (22 March), the event won by Hannes Grobler and Richard Leeke (Class T Nissan Hardbody). -
- Despite a variety of new-vehicle maladies, Manfred Schroder and Jack Peckham, in their brand new Pirelli Scorpion-shod Class E Ford Ranger 2.5 Turbo Diesel, the KZN pairing endured to score valuable points with a 4th in class and 12th overall. They would have preferred rougher conditions over the all-new 400km route, 75km from Cape Town. -
- Fellow Pirelli-backed racers, Deon Schoeman and Jan Sime (Topcar/Ferrodo Racing Nissan Hardbody) also overcame the odds to take 5th in Class D. Most competitors are eagerly awaiting the more-testing terrain on round two, the Nissan Sugarbelt 400 around Eston on 9 and 10 May. -
- This event will see the Pirelli Scorpion squad swell to four vehicles when Henri and Maurice Zermatten debut their powerful Pajero Mitsubishi in the Super Truck class, against Grobler, Reyneke, the new Ford Ranger of Neil Woolridge, Duncan Vos and Geniel de Villiers' Nissans and a further Mitsubishi to be campaigned by Mike Tomsett. -
- Pirelli is increasing its profile in the national Off-Road Production Vehicle category as official tyre suppliers to the Reyneke, Zermatten, Schroder and Schoeman campaigns. -
- "Our participation in the ultra-competitive championship has been positive over the last few years, with success attributed to the Scorpion compounds on numerous occasions," says Pirelli South Africa's Managing Director, Ashley Cooper. -
- Pirelli also sponsors the Scorpion Off-Road College in Midrand, Gauteng - telephone (011) 805 8104. -
- For all the news on Pirelli's participation in off-road racing, the World Rally Championship (with Subaru), Pirelli's tyre products and famous calendar visit www.cartoday.com or www.zapirelli.com.