Red Bull Racing boss Dietrich Mateschitz has hinted that veteran David Coulthard will drive for the former Jaguar team next year. But the move is bound to spark controversy at Milton Keynes.

Red Bull Racing boss Dietrich Mateschitz has hinted that veteran David Coulthard will drive for the former Jaguar team next year. But the move is bound to spark controversy at Milton Keynes.


Mateschitz and Red Bull Racing managing director David Pitchforth on Monday admitted the fledgling team would benefit greatly from the Scot’s experience.


"Coulthard is a done deal," Mateschitz said told . "If we were only considering him for a test driver role, we wouldn't have even tested him."


Pitchforth says the recruitment of the 13-time grand prix winner was a “no brainer”. "Most likely, yes (DC will be signed)," he admitted after Coulthard outpaced team-mate rivals Christian Klien and Vitantonio Liuzzi at last week's Jerez test.


It appears Liuzzi and Klien may “share” the second Red Bull car alongside Coulthard next year. Mateschitz said the option was "conceivable" and a decision would be made this week.


"In terms of marketing, two youngsters would be best. But maybe having an experienced driver is more intelligent," the Austrian billionaire said.


However, F3000 champion Liuzzi scoffed at the seat-sharing suggestion. "I think it would be counterproductive," the Italian told . He added: "I'm also considering other options - there are seats available at Williams and Jordan."