A MotoGP race demonstration at Catalunya gave fans a taste of what to expect when the motorcycle season starts on April 6 in Japan. Just who was showing early form?
Due to the lengthy off-season period for the Moto GP motorcycle championships, a demonstration round was organised as a PR exercise with a prize of a BMW 330d offered to quickest rider around the Catalunya track.
The results make for very interesting reading: (listed according to rider, team and motorcycle):
1. Loris Capirossi, Ducati Marlboro, Ducati Desmosedici (V4)
2. Alex Barros, Gauloises Yamaha, Yamaha YZR-M1 (in line 4)
3. Valentino Rossi, Repsol Honda, Honda RC211 V (V5)
4. Max Biaggi, Camel Pramac Pons, Honda RC211 V (V5)
5. Tohru Ukawa, Camel Pramac Pons, Honda RC211 V (V5)
6. Daijiro Kato, Telefonica Movistar, Honda RC211 V (V5)
Capirossi agreed before the session that, if he won the car, he would hold a raffle for it between his mechanics, so there should be one very happy mechanic out there.
"I'm so happy, I really wanted that, so I rode 110 per cent!" Capirossi said. "My fastest lap was hot - I went into a few corners a bit too fast but the bike still turned, no problem."
As far as the racing goes, if these results are anything to go by, it could be a very exciting season!