It’s often said that there aren’t many truly terrible new vehicles on the market anymore. And a glance back at the 99 cars CAR magazine tested in 2017 proves that this is mostly the case.
Indeed, half of the 10 lowest-scoring vehicles you see below actually each managed to register a tally of 70 points or more, which isn’t bad at all. Yes, the competition really has become tough.
Still, we thought it'd be interesting to take a look at the vehicles that find themselves at the foot of the 2017 table after each undergoing our extensive road-testing procedure (click the vehicle name to read the full road test)...
9=. Mitsubishi Outlander 2,4 GLS 4WD CVT: 72/100
Mitsubishi has given the Outlander another update. Again, though, it’s purely cosmetic...
9=. Range Rover Evoque Convertible Si4 HSE Dynamic: 72/100
Occupying the most niche of niches, this Evoque is a peculiarity that’s surprisingly endearing…
7=. Toyota Etios Sedan 1,5 Sprint: 71/100
The Etios has received some visual updates but, underneath everything remains unchanged...
7=. Mercedes-Benz GLA220d 4Matic 7G-DCT: 71/100
The facelifted Mercedes-Benz GLA (in 4Matic form) stakes its claim against the smallest member of BMW’s X family…
6. Haval H2 1,5T Lux AT: 70/100
With the launch of this light SUV, the Haval brand takes a bold leap into the South African market…
4=. Fiat Panda 0,9 Twinair 4x4 Cross: 68/100
SA’s smallest 4×4 crossover is big on charm (and, somewhat surprisingly, just as big on thirst)…
4=: Fiat Tipo 1,4 Lounge: 68/100
Entering a cutthroat segment in which it hasn’t competed since the Bravo, Fiat is hedging its bets on the new Tipo…
2=. Mahindra TUV300 1,5 CRDE T8: 67/100
Mahindra expands its crossover line-up with the TUV300. Is the only model in the TUV range enough to make a mark?
2=. Nissan NP200 1,5 dCi ICE: 67/100
The ever-popular half-tonne bakkie segment gains a cool new derivative. Is it enough to keep a restless buying public interested?
1. Renault Kwid 1,0 Dynamique: 54/100
Although it looks funky and is chock-full of kit, this budget crossover’s flaws are hard to accept…
- 5 new high-performance SUVs coming to SA in 2018
- 10 new crossovers coming to South Africa in 2018
- 10 vehicles killed off in South Africa in 2017…
- 5 vehicles we think would sell well in South Africa
- 7 most powerful manual cars you can buy new in SA
- 5 torquiest SUVs you can buy new in South Africa
- 10 cheapest new diesel-powered passenger cars in SA
- 10 cheapest dual-clutch vehicles in South Africa…
- 11 cheapest six-cylinder passenger vehicles in SA
- 8 most expensive four-cylinder vehicles in SA…
- 7 most powerful sedans on SA’s new vehicle market
- 7 most powerful SUVs on SA’s new vehicle market
- 5 most expensive double-cab bakkies in South Africa
- 5 biggest engines on South Africa’s new car market
- 7 most expensive SUVs on SA’s new vehicle market
- 5 cheapest rear-wheel-drive cars in South Africa
- 6 most powerful naturally aspirated new cars in SA
- 5 cheapest new cars in SA with 200 kW or more