At CAR magazine, we take every new vehicle we feature to our test strip to gather data for our in-depth road tests. Sometimes, we see some pretty impressive results. Below we have listed the best 100-0 km/h braking times we’ve collected over the past 12 months. Yes, these are the fastest-braking cars from the pool of 99 vehicles we tested in 2017…
5. Jaguar F-Type 400 Sport Supercharged: 2,72 seconds
Hefty 380 mm front and 376 mm rear ventilated carbon-ceramic brakes combined with the Continental ContiSport Contact P5 tyres proved to be a winning formula for this big cat when it came to stopping sharply.
4. BMW M530d Steptronic: 2,71 seconds
This premium diesel sedan comes fitted with 374 mm front and 345 mm rear ventilated brakes and Michelin Primacy 3 tyres. And that results in a pretty impression braking time.
3. Peugeot 3008 1,6 THP GT-Line Auto: 2,70 seconds
Bet you didn’t expect to see this SUV here. To be honest, it surprised us as well. Peugeot’s stylish 3008 boasts 283 mm front ventilated and 268 mm solid rear discs, which is pretty much standard issue in this segment. Those Michelin Primacy 3s may just have given it the edge here.
2. Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio Verde: 2,62 seconds
The, er, “standard” Quadrifoglio Verde may not have the Race Edition’s carbon-ceramic brakes, but those Pirelli Corsa tyres work well enough to help the 390 mm front and 360 mm rear ventilated discs bring everything to a stop in a racecar-rivalling time.
1. Porsche 911 GTS PDK: 2,59 seconds
The 911 GTS comes fitted with 350 mm front and 300 mm rear ventilated discs and Pirelli P Zero tyres, which means it can get from 100 km/h to 0 in a face-bending time.
- 5 new high-performance SUVs coming to SA in 2018
- 10 new crossovers coming to South Africa in 2018
- 10 vehicles killed off in South Africa in 2017…
- 5 vehicles we think would sell well in South Africa
- 7 most powerful manual cars you can buy new in SA
- 5 torquiest SUVs you can buy new in South Africa
- 10 cheapest new diesel-powered passenger cars in SA
- 10 cheapest dual-clutch vehicles in South Africa…
- 11 cheapest six-cylinder passenger vehicles in SA
- 8 most expensive four-cylinder vehicles in SA…
- 7 most powerful sedans on SA’s new vehicle market
- 7 most powerful SUVs on SA’s new vehicle market
- 5 most expensive double-cab bakkies in South Africa
- 5 biggest engines on South Africa’s new car market
- 7 most expensive SUVs on SA’s new vehicle market
- 5 cheapest rear-wheel-drive cars in South Africa
- 6 most powerful naturally aspirated new cars in SA
- 5 cheapest new cars in SA with 200 kW or more