At CAR magazine, we place every new vehicle we feature on our scales (as part of our in-depth road-test procedure) to see how just heavy they really are (rather than simply relying on manufacturer claims). And sometimes we get some pretty hefty machines rolling into our garage. Below we have listed the heaviest cars we’ve weighed over the past 12 months. Yes, these are the portliest cars from the pool of 99 vehicles we tested in 2017…
5. Land Rover Discovery TD6 R-Dynamic HSE: 2 221 kg (claimed 2 298 kg)
The latest wilderness-faring Discovery is a pretty intimidating size in the metal, with an overall mass figure to back up that image. Built on a unibody chassis, the new model is supposed to boast a lower overall mass, but on the scales it’s still pretty plump (although interestingly a little lighter than claimed).
4. Ford Ranger 3,2 TDCi XLT 4×4 AT: 2 229 kg (claimed 1 999 kg)
The Ford Ranger has become something of a South African favourite, thanks in part to its tough-guy styling. Based on the readings we received from our scales, the big bakkie has the muscle (or should that be metal) to back up its appearance.
3. Ford Everest 2,2 TDCi XLT 6AT 4×2: 2 275 kg (claimed 2 220 kg)
Since it shares much with the Ranger, it’s no surprise to find the Everest this is on the list as well. The hulking Everest is a capable off-roading SUV, but also one of the heaviest in its segment.
2. BMW M760Li: 2 301 kg (claimed 2 326 kg)
Not only was this one of the fastest cars we’ve tested this year, it was also one of the heaviest. Couple its OKL underpinnings with that hefty 6,6-litre twin-turbo V12 and you have a heavy-hitting German limousine that makes you feel like you’re worth its R2,7-million price-tag.
1. Rolls-Royce Dawn: 2 631 kg (claimed 2 560 kg)
Sitting on the same platform and using the same V12 as the aforementioned BMW M760Li, the Rolls-Royce Dawn tops the list of the heaviest cars we’ve tested this year … and it also happens to be the most luxurious. Turns out you really are getting a lot for your money…
- 5 new high-performance SUVs coming to SA in 2018
- 10 new crossovers coming to South Africa in 2018
- 10 vehicles killed off in South Africa in 2017…
- 5 vehicles we think would sell well in South Africa
- 7 most powerful manual cars you can buy new in SA
- 5 torquiest SUVs you can buy new in South Africa
- 10 cheapest new diesel-powered passenger cars in SA
- 10 cheapest dual-clutch vehicles in South Africa…
- 11 cheapest six-cylinder passenger vehicles in SA
- 8 most expensive four-cylinder vehicles in SA…
- 7 most powerful sedans on SA’s new vehicle market
- 7 most powerful SUVs on SA’s new vehicle market
- 5 most expensive double-cab bakkies in South Africa
- 5 biggest engines on South Africa’s new car market
- 7 most expensive SUVs on SA’s new vehicle market
- 5 cheapest rear-wheel-drive cars in South Africa
- 6 most powerful naturally aspirated new cars in SA
- 5 cheapest new cars in SA with 200 kW or more