The 2020 New York International Auto Show has been postponed from April to late August due to concerns around the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) in the region.
The organisers of the annual show released a statement confirming their “extraordinary step”, with the news following the recent cancellation of the 2020 Geneva International Motor Show for the same reason.
“As a result of the ongoing health concerns from the spread of the coronavirus in the region, the New York International Auto Show has been rescheduled,” the organisers said.
The show had been due to open its doors to the media on 8 April, with the organisers having promised they would install 70 hand-sanitising stations. Instead, the press days have been pushed back to August 26 and 27, with the public days now set down from the following day until September 6.
“We are taking this extraordinary step to help protect our attendees, exhibitors and all participants from the coronavirus,” said Mark Schienberg, president of the Greater New York Automobile Dealers Association, the organisation that owns and operates the show.
“For 120 years, ‘the show must go on’ has been heavily embedded in our DNA, and while the decision to move the show dates didn’t come easy, our top priority remains with the health and well-being of all those involved in this historic event. We have already been in communication with many of our exhibitors and partners and are confident that the new dates for the 2020 Show will make for another successful event,” Schienberg added.