CAR magazine's distinguished annual Top 12 Best Buys were presented at a gala dinner in Johannesburg on Wednesday night. Look out for our upcoming March 2017 issue for the full article and rationale behind each decision.
Top 12 Best Buys is our definitive guide to the very best cars in South Africa. As a reminder, here is our judging criteria:
- Only vehicles that the CAR team has driven: We factor in the findings of road tests and driving impressions we've published during the past year.
- Ranges, not individual models: Except in the Budget Car and Performance Car segments, we consider an entire range, not merely one outstanding example.
- Consider all the facets: We look at the package, personality, performance, and, ultimately, price.
- The bun fight … and then the vote: We set aside a day for the team to debate, argue and arm wrestle over the contestants. And then we vote...
1. Budget car (under R160 000)
Suzuki Celerio 1,0 GA
Chevrolet Spark Campus
Suzuki Swift Dzire 1,2 GA
2. Light hatchback
Best light hot hatch: Ford Fiesta ST
3. Light sedan
Volkswagen Polo Vivo
Kia Rio Sedan
4. Compact hatchback
5. Compact sedan
Toyota Corolla Quest
6. Compact executive sedan
BMW 3 Series
7. Luxury car
BMW 7 Series
8. Performance car
Overall: Ferrari 488 Spider
Everyday sportscar: BMW M2 Coupé M-DCT
Family sportscar: Audi RS6 Avant Quattro S tronic
9. Light SUV/crossover
Best light MPV: Suzuki Ertiga
10. Compact SUV/crossover
Best compact SUV: Volkswagen Caddy
11. Large SUV/crossover
Range Rover Sport
Best large MPV: Kia Sedona
Best value large SUV: Ford Everest
12. Double-cab bakkie
Best half-tonne bakkie: Chevrolet Utility
Also read: CAR's Top 12 Special Awards announced!