The monthly Naamsa stats generally make for rather interesting reading. But, naturally, we tend to focus on the best-performing vehicles in terms of sales.
But now we’ve decided to take a look at the worst-selling passenger car models on our shores. Of course, we must bear in mind that certain importers – such as Hyundai and Kia – do not submit individual model sales figures, instead only disclosing aggregate sales stats. Mercedes-Benz, too, has taken a similar stance in recent times, while BMW SA also recently joined the non-reporting party.
Also, take note that – in order to make this list more relevant – we’ve excluded vehicle ranges that start at more than R500 000. Otherwise, this table would be dominated by luxury manufacturers such as Bentley, Ferrari and Maserati, whose high-priced vehicles traditionally sell in tiny numbers. We also don’t count sales from run-out stock of vehicles that have been discontinued locally (such as the third-generation Renault Mégane, which sold two units last month).
So, what happened in June 2017?
Well, the Mahindra Xylo, Suzuki Grand Vitara and Volkswagen Scirocco each managed just a single unit for the month, while the Abarth 500 and Ford B-Max ranges had to settle for two apiece.
Tata sold just four units of its Vista, while the Alfa Romeo Giulietta and Tata Manza managed five each.
Six units of each of the Mazda MX-5, Opel Adam and Toyota 86 were registered in South Africa in June, while the Volkswagen Golf SV rounded out the table with seven sales. We opted not to include the new Subaru Impreza (which managed three registrations), seeing as it officially launched right at the end of the month (and since just one of the three planned derivatives has so far arrived).
For reference, see May’s list here.
South Africa’s 12 worst-selling passenger cars (under R500k) of June 2017:
Mahindra Xylo – 1
Suzuki Grand Vitara – 1
Volkswagen Scirocco – 1
Abarth 500 – 3
Ford B-Max – 3
Tata Vista – 4
Alfa Romeo Giulietta – 5
Tata Manza – 5
Mazda MX-5 – 6
Opel Adam – 6
Toyota 86 – 6
Volkswagen Golf SV – 7
- 5 most expensive double-cab bakkies in South Africa
- 7 most powerful SUVs on SA’s new vehicle market
- 9 dirtiest hatchbacks on SA’s new car market
- 5 biggest engines on South Africa’s new car market
- 7 most expensive SUVs on SA’s new vehicle market
- 5 cheapest rear-wheel-drive cars in South Africa
- 50 best-selling vehicles in the world in 2016…
- 7 most fuel-efficient double-cab bakkies in SA
- 6 most powerful naturally aspirated new cars in SA
- 5 cheapest new cars in SA with 200 kW or more
- 5 most powerful manual cars you can buy new in SA
- 5 double-cab bakkies that make the most torque…
- 5 bakkies we think South Africa would go crazy for
- 5 of the most blatant copycat cars out of China
- 5 big bakkies South Africa might want but can’t have
- 5 cheapest automatics on SA’s new vehicle market
- South Africa’s 5 cheapest vehicles with low-range
- 5 biggest gas-guzzlers on SA’s new vehicle market
- 5 most fuel-efficient cars we’ve recently tested
- 7 most fuel-efficient non-hybrid petrol cars in SA
- 5 most fuel-efficient non-hybrid diesel cars in SA