The monthly Naamsa stats generally make for rather interesting reading. But, naturally, we tend to focus on the best-performing vehicles in terms of sales.
But now we’ve decided to take a look at the worst-selling passenger car models on our shores. Thankfully, Hyundai, Kia and BMW have started reporting their individual model sales figures again, which certainly helps to paint a more accurate monthly picture. But, of course, some other automakers (such as Mercedes-Benz) still disclose only aggregate sales statistics.
Also, take note that – in order to make this list more relevant – we’ve excluded vehicle ranges that start at more than R500 000. Otherwise, this table would be dominated by luxury manufacturers such as Bentley, Ferrari and Maserati, whose high-priced vehicles traditionally sell in tiny numbers.
In addition, we don’t count sales from run-out stock of vehicles that have been discontinued locally. And we’ve also heeded the call to include model ranges that failed to sell a single unit.
So, what happened during the month of February? Well, not a single Renault Kadjar, Tata Manza or Toyota Prius was sold, while Fiat could register only one Panda. The Abarth 595 line-up managed two sales, matched by the Renault Mégane, Subaru Impreza, Suzuki Grand Vitara and Tata Indica.
Three examples of the Mahindra Xylo were registered, along with five units of the Tata Vista. Lastly, the Alfa Romeo Giulietta, Kia Sorento and Mini Convertible managed just six units apiece.
For reference, see January's list here.
SA's 11 worst-selling passenger cars (under R500k) of February 2018:
Renault Kadjar – 0
Tata Manza – 0
Toyota Prius – 0
Fiat Panda – 1
Abarth 595 – 2
Renault Mégane – 2
Subaru Impreza – 2
Suzuki Grand Vitara – 2
Tata Indica – 2
Mahindra Xylo – 3
Tata Vista – 5
Alfa Romeo Giulietta – 6
Kia Sorento – 6
Mini Convertible – 6
- 5 vehicles we think would sell well in South Africa
- 7 most powerful manual cars you can buy new in SA
- 10 cheapest new diesel-powered passenger cars in SA
- 10 cheapest dual-clutch vehicles in South Africa…
- 11 cheapest six-cylinder passenger vehicles in SA
- 8 most expensive four-cylinder vehicles in SA…
- 7 most powerful sedans on SA’s new vehicle market
- 7 most powerful SUVs on SA’s new vehicle market
- 5 most expensive double-cab bakkies in South Africa
- 9 dirtiest hatchbacks on SA’s new car market
- 5 biggest engines on South Africa’s new car market
- 7 most expensive SUVs on SA’s new vehicle market
- 5 cheapest rear-wheel-drive cars in South Africa
- 7 most fuel-efficient double-cab bakkies in SA
- 6 most powerful naturally aspirated new cars in SA
- 5 cheapest new cars in SA with 200 kW or more
- 5 bakkies we think South Africa would go crazy for
- 5 of the most blatant copycat cars out of China
- 5 big bakkies South Africa might want but can’t have