Yes, the first quarter of 2018 has come and gone. And, after a few jabs at a calculator, we’ve worked out the 10 best-selling bakkies in South Africa for the first three months of the year.
In a dominant start to 2018 (after winning the best-selling bakkie race by 3 612 units in 2017), Toyota has sold nearly 10 000 units of its Hilux, placing the Japanese bakkie firmly in first place, some 2 614 units ahead of the Ford Ranger in second.
The Nissan NP200 – still without a direct rival in the half-tonne bakkie segment (here’s hoping the next-generation Volkswagen Saveiro will be offered in right-hand drive, and thus come to SA) – sits in third, with the Isuzu KB some 1 148 units behind in fourth.
Nissan’s NP300 takes fifth, comfortably ahead of the Toyota Land Cruiser Pick-up in sixth, while the Navara slots into seventh after a strong showing in March. The Mahindra Pik-Up is just behind in eighth, while VW has sold 541 examples of the Amarok, putting the German bakkie in ninth. The GWM Steed grabs the final spot on the list.
Other well-known models that failed to make the top 10 include the Mazda BT-50 (227), Mahindra Bolero (213), Mitsubishi Triton (117) and Fiat Fullback (79).
While we’re keen to learn what sort of impact the new Mercedes-Benz X-Class will have on the local market, it’s going to be tough to tell since the Stuttgart-based brand sadly opts not to report individual model sales to Naamsa…
South Africa’s 10 best-selling bakkies of Q1 2018:
1. Toyota Hilux – 9 889
2. Ford Ranger – 7 275
3. Nissan NP200 – 4 837
4. Isuzu KB – 3 689
5. Nissan NP300 – 2 086
6. Toyota Land Cruiser Pick-up – 747
7. Nissan Navara – 676
8. Mahindra Pik-Up – 628
9. Volkswagen Amarok – 541
10. GWM Steed – 525
- Volkswagen Amarok V6 gets boost in power and torque!
- Top trumps! Mercedes X350d vs. VW Amarok 3,0 V6 TDI
- Mercedes-Benz X-Class: V6’s 0-100 km/h time revealed
- VW SA to offer manual Amarok V6 (with low-range)!
- Drag race! Volkswagen Amarok V6 vs. VW Golf GTD…
- 5 half-tonne bakkies axed in SA over the past decade
- Volkswagen unveils sportily styled Saveiro Pepper…
- 5 most expensive double-cab bakkies in South Africa
- Mazda SA boss on why BT-50 bakkie has struggled…
- Nissan Navara pricing! How much you’ll pay in SA…
- The SA government bought these bakkies in 2016…
- 7 most fuel-efficient double-cab bakkies in SA
- 5 double-cab bakkies that make the most torque…
- 5 bakkies we think South Africa would go crazy for
- 5 big bakkies South Africa might want but can’t have