The monthly Naamsa stats generally make for rather interesting reading. But, naturally, we tend to focus on the best-performing vehicles in terms of sales. Indeed, we’ve already reported the 10 best-selling passenger cars of October 2018, as well as listed the 10 best-selling bakkies in our market for the same period. But now we’ve decided to take a look at the worst-selling passenger car models on our shores.
Thankfully, Hyundai and Kia now report their individual model sales figures again, which certainly helps to paint a more accurate monthly picture. But, of course, some other automakers (such as Mercedes-Benz and latterly BMW) still disclose only aggregate sales statistics.
Also, take note that – in order to make this list more relevant – we’ve excluded vehicle ranges that start at more than R500 000. Otherwise, this table would be dominated by luxury manufacturers such as Bentley, Ferrari and Maserati, whose high-priced vehicles traditionally sell in tiny numbers.
In addition, we don’t count sales from run-out stock of vehicles that have been officially discontinued locally. And we’ve also heeded the call to include model ranges that failed to sell a single unit (none this month, though).
So, what happened in the tenth month of 2018? Well, the Abarth 595, Alfa Romeo Giulietta, Kia Cerato and Toyota Prius each sold just a single unit, while the back-in-SA Peugeot 308 could muster just two. The Fiat 500X, meanwhile, managed three units and the ageing Suzuki Grand Vitara four.
The Subaru Impreza (5) also featured on the list once again, as did the Jeep Renegade and Nissan NV200, each managing just six registrations. The Mahindra Thar closed out the table with seven sales.
Models that struggled in September but managed to avoid placing on October’s list included the Opel Grandland X (which jumped all the way to 82 units) and the Tata Bolt (just out of contention on eight units).
For reference, see September’s list here.
SA’s 11 worst-selling passenger cars (under R500k) of October 2018
Abarth 595 – 1
Toyota Prius – 1
Alfa Romeo Giulietta – 1
Kia Cerato – 1
Peugeot 308 – 2
Fiat 500X – 3
Suzuki Grand Vitara – 4
Subaru Impreza – 5
Jeep Renegade – 6
Nissan NV200 – 6
Mahindra Thar – 7
- SA’s 10 best-selling passenger cars of October 2018
- South Africa’s 10 best-selling bakkies of October 2018
- New-look Toyota Hilux Dakar launches in South Africa!
- Shelby to offer (right-hand-drive) Ford F-150 bakkies in SA
- Ford SA confirms new engine, more kit for updated Ranger
- New Isuzu KB X-Rider Black launched in South Africa!
- Mercedes-Benz X-Class: V6’s 0-100 km/h time revealed
- VW SA to offer manual Amarok V6 (with low-range)!
- Drag race! Volkswagen Amarok V6 vs. VW Golf GTD…
- 5 half-tonne bakkies axed in SA over the past decade
- Volkswagen unveils sportily styled Saveiro Pepper…