The monthly Naamsa stats generally make for rather interesting reading. But, naturally, we tend to focus on the best-performing vehicles in terms of sales. Indeed, we’ve already reported the 10 best-selling passenger cars of September 2018, as well as listed the 10 best-selling bakkies in our market for the same period. But now we’ve decided to take a look at the worst-selling passenger car models on our shores.
Thankfully, Hyundai and Kia now report their individual model sales figures again, which certainly helps to paint a more accurate monthly picture. But, of course, some other automakers (such as Mercedes-Benz and latterly BMW) still disclose only aggregate sales statistics.
Also, take note that – in order to make this list more relevant – we’ve excluded vehicle ranges that start at more than R500 000. Otherwise, this table would be dominated by luxury manufacturers such as Bentley, Ferrari and Maserati, whose high-priced vehicles traditionally sell in tiny numbers.
In addition, we don’t count sales from run-out stock of vehicles that have been officially discontinued locally (in this instance, we also didn’t include the Kia Sorento, which sold three units in September, as it is in run-out ahead of an imminent facelift). And we’ve also heeded the call to include model ranges that failed to sell a single unit (none this month, though).
So, what happened in the ninth month of 2018? Well, the Abarth 595 and Toyota Prius each sold just a single unit, while the Jeep Renegade, Alfa Romeo Giulietta, Kia Cerato and Peugeot 308 mustered just two apiece.
Opel’s Grandland X made an appearance on the list with just five registrations, a number matched by the Subaru Impreza and Suzuki Grand Vitara. The Tata Bolt managed six units, while the Fiat 500X and Nissan NV200 closed out the list with eight each.
Models that struggled in August but managed to avoid placing on September’s list included the Renault Kadjar (which has been discontinued locally) and Kia Soul (10).
For reference, see August’s list here.
SA’s 12 worst-selling passenger cars (under R500k) of September 2018
Abarth 595 – 1
Toyota Prius – 1
Jeep Renegade – 2
Alfa Romeo Giulietta – 2
Kia Cerato – 2
Peugeot 308 – 2
Opel Grandland X – 5
Subaru Impreza – 5
Suzuki Grand Vitara – 5
Tata Bolt – 6
Fiat 500X – 8
Nissan NV200 – 8
- SA’s 10 best-selling passenger cars of September 2018
- South Africa’s 10 best-selling bakkies of September 2018
- New-look Toyota Hilux Dakar launches in South Africa!
- Shelby to offer (right-hand-drive) Ford F-150 bakkies in SA
- Ford SA confirms new engine, more kit for updated Ranger
- New Isuzu KB X-Rider Black launched in South Africa!
- Mercedes-Benz X-Class: V6’s 0-100 km/h time revealed
- VW SA to offer manual Amarok V6 (with low-range)!
- Drag race! Volkswagen Amarok V6 vs. VW Golf GTD…
- 5 half-tonne bakkies axed in SA over the past decade
- Volkswagen unveils sportily styled Saveiro Pepper…