The sales figures for March 2018 are in … and a substantial 1 072 units separate the top two vehicles as the battle for the title of South Africa’s best-selling bakkie continues.
According to Naamsa, March's new vehicle industry sales came in at 49 233 units, representing an increase of 535 vehicles or 1,1%, year on year (be sure to check out the 10 best-selling passenger vehicles and the 12 worst-selling passenger vehicles, too). The light commercial segment, meanwhile, fell 2,3% to 14 701 units for the month.
So, exactly what happened in terms of bakkie sales in March 2018? Well, the Toyota Hilux retained top spot (after beating the Ford Ranger by a similarly impressive 1 116 units in February 2018), with the Ranger again having to settle for a distant second.
The Nissan NP200 held onto third, while the Isuzu KB and Nissan NP300 also managed to hold steady in fourth and fifth, respectively. The Nissan Navara, meanwhile, climbed four spots to sixth thanks to the recent expansion of the local range to include cheaper rear-wheel-drive derivatives.
The Toyota Land Cruiser Pick-up fell one to seventh and the Mahindra Pik-Up one to eighth, while the Volkswagen Amarok held onto ninth. The GWM Steed dropped two places to cling to the final spot on the table.
That means there was no room for the Mazda BT-50 (98), Mahindra Bolero (82), Mitsubishi Triton (44) or Fiat Fullback (19) in March.
See the top ten list below, and have a look at February 2018’s figures here.
South Africa’s 10 best-selling bakkies of March 2018:
1. Toyota Hilux – 3 825
2. Ford Ranger – 2 753
3. Nissan NP200 –1 562
4. Isuzu KB – 1 273
5. Nissan NP300 – 603
6. Nissan Navara – 447
7. Toyota Land Cruiser Pick-up – 262
8. Mahindra Pik-Up – 196
9. Volkswagen Amarok – 176
10. GWM Steed – 163
- Volkswagen Amarok V6 gets boost in power and torque!
- Top trumps! Mercedes X350d vs. VW Amarok 3,0 V6 TDI
- Mercedes-Benz X-Class: V6’s 0-100 km/h time revealed
- VW SA to offer manual Amarok V6 (with low-range)!
- Drag race! Volkswagen Amarok V6 vs. VW Golf GTD…
- 5 half-tonne bakkies axed in SA over the past decade
- Volkswagen unveils sportily styled Saveiro Pepper…
- 5 most expensive double-cab bakkies in South Africa
- Mazda SA boss on why BT-50 bakkie has struggled…
- Nissan Navara pricing! How much you’ll pay in SA…
- The SA government bought these bakkies in 2016…
- 7 most fuel-efficient double-cab bakkies in SA
- 5 double-cab bakkies that make the most torque…
- 5 bakkies we think South Africa would go crazy for
- 5 big bakkies South Africa might want but can’t have