The sales figures for May 2018 are in … and 519 units separate the top two vehicles as the battle for the title of South Africa’s best-selling bakkie continues.
According to Naamsa, May’s new vehicle industry sales came in at 42 984 units, representing an increase of 2,4%, year on year. The light commercial segment, meanwhile, improved 3,2% to 13 977 units for the month (also, be sure to check out our list of the 10 best-selling passenger vehicles).
So, exactly what happened in terms of bakkie sales in May 2018? Well, the Toyota Hilux remained in first place (after beating the Ford Ranger by 307 units in April 2018), with the Ranger again having to settle for second. By our maths, that puts the Hilux 3 440 units ahead of the Ranger after the first five months of the year.
In May, the Nissan NP200 climbed one place to third, forcing the Isuzu KB down to fourth. The Nissan NP300/Hardbody (we’re now combining these figures) held steady in fifth, while the Volkswagen Amarok climbed one to sixth.
The Toyota Land Cruiser Pick-up and Mahindra Pik-Up also each moved up one place, taking seventh and eighth respectively, while the GWM Steed returned to the table to grab ninth. The Nissan Navara, meanwhile, fell six places to tenth.
That means there was no room for the Mahindra Bolero (80), Mazda BT-50 (61), Mitsubishi Triton (48) or Fiat Fullback (11) in May. Unfortunately, Mercedes-Benz South Africa doesn't report individual model sales, so it's hard to tell exactly how many X-Class units were sold during the month, though we do know that the Stuttgart-based brand registered a total of 33 units in the light commercial segment (which includes vans).
See the top ten list below, and have a look at April 2018’s figures here.
South Africa's 10 best-selling bakkies of May 2018:
1. Toyota Hilux – 3 338
2. Ford Ranger – 2 819
3. Nissan NP200 – 1 825
4. Isuzu KB – 1 298
5. Nissan NP300/Hardbody – 798
6. Volkswagen Amarok – 324
7. Toyota Land Cruiser Pick-up – 217
8. Mahindra Pik-Up – 188
9. GWM Steed – 173
10. Nissan Navara – 159
- New-look Toyota Hilux Dakar launches in South Africa!
- Ford SA confirms new engine, more kit for updated Ranger
- Volkswagen Amarok V6 gets boost in power and torque!
- Top trumps! Mercedes X350d vs. VW Amarok 3,0 V6 TDI
- Mercedes-Benz X-Class: V6’s 0-100 km/h time revealed
- VW SA to offer manual Amarok V6 (with low-range)!
- Drag race! Volkswagen Amarok V6 vs. VW Golf GTD…
- 5 half-tonne bakkies axed in SA over the past decade
- Volkswagen unveils sportily styled Saveiro Pepper…
- 5 most expensive double-cab bakkies in South Africa
- Mazda SA boss on why BT-50 bakkie has struggled…
- Nissan Navara pricing! How much you’ll pay in SA…
- The SA government bought these bakkies in 2016…
- 7 most fuel-efficient double-cab bakkies in SA
- 5 double-cab bakkies that make the most torque…
- 5 bakkies we think South Africa would go crazy for
- 5 big bakkies South Africa might want but can’t have