The sales figures for August 2018 are in … and a whopping 831 units separate the top two vehicles as the battle for the title of South Africa’s best-selling bakkie continues. Only thing is, the battle is becoming somewhat one-sided…
According to Naamsa, August’s new vehicle industry sales came in at 47 964 units, representing a fall of 2,5%, year on year. The light commercial segment, meanwhile, declined 5,8% to 13 956 units for the month (be sure to check out our list of the 10 best-selling passenger vehicles, too).
So, what exactly happened in terms of bakkie sales in August 2018? Well, the recently refreshed Toyota Hilux stayed on top, with the Ford Ranger having to settle for second place once again. By our maths, that puts the Hilux a mammoth 6 468 units ahead of the Ranger in the year-to-date race. Unassailable? Surely.
In August, the Nissan NP200 remained in third spot, while the Isuzu KB climbed one place to grab fourth. The Nissan NP300/Hardbody (we’re now combining these figures) thus fell a spot to fifth, while the Mahindra Pik-Up jumped up two to snaffle sixth.
The GWM Steed also moved up two spots, to seventh, while the Toyota Land Cruiser Pick-up and Volkswagen Amarok were forced to share eighth. The Nissan Navara, meanwhile, again grabbed the final place on the list.
That means there was no room for the Mahindra Bolero (76), Mitsubishi Triton (42), Fiat Fullback (29) or Mazda BT-50 (21) in August. Unfortunately, Mercedes-Benz South Africa doesn’t report individual model sales, so it’s hard to tell exactly how many X-Class units were sold during the month.
See the top ten list below, and have a look at July 2018’s figures here.
South Africa’s 10 best-selling bakkies of August 2018:
1. Toyota Hilux – 3 366
2. Ford Ranger – 2 535
3. Nissan NP200 – 1 634
4. Isuzu KB – 1 542
5. Nissan NP300/Hardbody – 1 092
6. Mahindra Pik-Up – 248
7. GWM Steed – 182
8=. Toyota Land Cruiser Pick-up – 181
8=. Volkswagen Amarok – 181
10. Nissan Navara – 139
- DRIVEN: Ford Ranger Raptor Double Cab 2,0 4×4 AT
- DRIVEN: Mercedes-Benz X350d 4Matic 7G-Tronic Plus
- New-look Toyota Hilux Dakar launches in South Africa!
- Shelby to offer (right-hand-drive) Ford F-150 bakkies in SA
- Ford SA confirms new engine, more kit for updated Ranger
- New Isuzu KB X-Rider Black launched in South Africa!
- Volkswagen Amarok V6 gets boost in power and torque!
- Top trumps! Mercedes X350d vs. VW Amarok 3,0 V6 TDI
- Mercedes-Benz X-Class: V6’s 0-100 km/h time revealed
- VW SA to offer manual Amarok V6 (with low-range)!
- Drag race! Volkswagen Amarok V6 vs. VW Golf GTD…
- 5 half-tonne bakkies axed in SA over the past decade
- Volkswagen unveils sportily styled Saveiro Pepper…