The sales figures for April 2018 are in … and just 307 units separate the top two vehicles as the battle for the title of South Africa’s best-selling bakkie continues.
According to Naamsa, April’s new vehicle industry sales came in at 36 346 units, representing an increase of 3,6%, year on year (be sure to check out the 10 best-selling passenger vehicles and the 10 worst-selling as well). The light commercial segment, meanwhile, fell 1,2% to 10 580 units for the month.
So, exactly what happened in terms of bakkie sales in April 2018? Well, the Toyota Hilux remained in first place (after beating the Ford Ranger by a whopping 1 072 units in March 2018), with the Ranger again having to settle for second. By our maths, that puts the Hilux 2 921 units ahead of the Ranger after the first four months of the year.
In April, the Isuzu KB climbed one to third, pushing the Nissan NP200 down to fourth. The Nissan NP300 held steady in fifth, while the Nissan Navara managed to hold onto sixth.
The Volkswagen Amarok climbed two places to seventh, forcing the Toyota Land Cruiser Pick-up down one to eighth and the Mahindra Pik-Up down one to ninth. The Mazda BT-50 returned to snaffle the final spot on the table.
That means there was no room for the GWM Steed (103), Mahindra Bolero (56) or Mitsubishi Triton (28) in April. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles SA has yet to report a figure for the Fiat Fullback.
See the top ten list below, and have a look at March 2018’s figures here.
South Africa's 10 best-selling bakkies of April 2018:
1. Toyota Hilux – 2 679
2. Ford Ranger – 2 372
3. Isuzu KB – 1 071
4. Nissan NP200 –1 058
5. Nissan NP300 – 370
6. Nissan Navara – 261
7. Volkswagen Amarok – 208
8. Toyota Land Cruiser Pick-up – 192
9. Mahindra Pik-Up – 130
10. Mazda BT-50 – 106
- Volkswagen Amarok V6 gets boost in power and torque!
- Top trumps! Mercedes X350d vs. VW Amarok 3,0 V6 TDI
- Mercedes-Benz X-Class: V6’s 0-100 km/h time revealed
- VW SA to offer manual Amarok V6 (with low-range)!
- Drag race! Volkswagen Amarok V6 vs. VW Golf GTD…
- 5 half-tonne bakkies axed in SA over the past decade
- Volkswagen unveils sportily styled Saveiro Pepper…
- 5 most expensive double-cab bakkies in South Africa
- Mazda SA boss on why BT-50 bakkie has struggled…
- Nissan Navara pricing! How much you’ll pay in SA…
- The SA government bought these bakkies in 2016…
- 7 most fuel-efficient double-cab bakkies in SA
- 5 double-cab bakkies that make the most torque…
- 5 bakkies we think South Africa would go crazy for
- 5 big bakkies South Africa might want but can’t have